S3 Standard – Infrequent Access is Amazon Web Services new S3 storage class. The new class provides all of S3’s existing feature set for infrequently accessed files.
– for retrieving older files more quickly than stored on Glacier
– for reliable hot-backups
– in DR scenarios
S3 Standard IA is also cheaper and offers a higher durability than S3 Reduced Redundancy storage, so this new storage class is worth investigating within your environment.
Here’s a quick summary of S3’s durability by storage class..
– Standard Storage -> 99.99% availability and 99.99999999999% of durability,
– Standard IA -> 99% availability and 99.999999999% of durability.
– Reduced Redundancy Storage -> 99.99% availability and 99.99% of durability
** RRS : You will loose 1 object per year if you have 10,000 objects in an S3 bucket.
– Glacier -> 3-5 Hours availability and 99.99999999999% of durability.